A BERLIN CITY ESCAPE: URBAN TREEHOUSE SUITE.030
When I saw there was an Urban Treehouse surrounded by nature but STILL in Berlin... I knew I had to go check it out. Someone once told me that everything in Berlin takes an hour max to get to, and I'm finding it to be true. From Alexanderplatz it took me exactly an hour to get to the treehouse, and I must add, it was a beautiful trek. The surrounding neighborhood was breathtaking. There were German timbered houses, mansions, chalets, and gorgeous gardens on the walk from the train station to the house. In the lovely neighborhood of Zehlendorf , you'll still find plenty of restaurants, cafes, supermarkets, and easy train connections into the city. Nevertheless, you're welcomed by a slower, more relaxing pace- birds chirping, endless forest to wander in, and the feeling like you've just arrived on a vacation. My favorite thing about "staycations" are that they don't require an airplane ticket, too much planning, or travel time. They are a quick and easy way to relax, reset, and escape the bustling city briefly.
The property is made up of a giant private garden with two matching urban tree houses. In the middle is a fire pit, of which we took full advantage of, especially since the trees were vibrant in autumn colors. It was the perfect place to lounge, drink coffee, and catch up with a friend. The tree house is completely equipped with modern amenities but with cozy rugs, blankets, and pillows. The huge windows allow you to live amongst the trees and birds, an experience that I'll always cherish. My favorite part was the sauna at the bottom of the tree house- it had plenty of oils to chose from to add to your water, making it super relaxing and steamy. I'm finding saunas in Germany to be very useful when the cold months are long and dark. There are two bikes that are free to use as well so we road around the forest (literally the backyard) and around the lakes. The kitchen is also fully equipped with anything you could need to cook up a feast. They also provide (the best smelling) coffee beans from local Berlin roasters, The Barn. We made pizza, drank wine, listened to the blues, and 100% escaped from a stressful city life for a few days.
I would imagine staying at the treehouse would be beautiful any time of year. Although it was so nice and cozy with all of the colorful leaves changing and seeing the twinkling evening lights on the lake and beaming warmly from inside houses. There is a ton to see and do in the area:
- Fischerhütte: The historical guesthouse restaurant is right on the Schlachtensee Lake. There is a beer garden, a lovely terrace to soak up the sun in, a fireplace, and a lovely view of the lake and forest. They also do Sunday Brunch!
- Mexikoplatz: With a village like atmosphere, the square dates back over 100 years. Tons of cafes to choose from and a weekly market. The architecture is stunning and a lovely stroll from the treehouse.
- Haus Am Waldsee: An exhibition venue of international contemporary art in Zehlendorf. The villa was build almost 100 years ago in the 20's and is today is an influential part of Berlin's art scene.
- La Gondola Due: Fine Italian dining at Mexikoplatz. The perfect place for a date night outing from the treehouse.
- Bruna Tate Settlement: Modern utopian architect who strived to create an environment where urban planning and nature coexist.
- Peacock Island ( Pfaueninsel): Only a short ferry ride from the mainland to the island where peacocks roam freely! You can also do tours of the ancient castle that still remains on the island to date.
With a unique and exclusive membership, the treehouses are available year round for access. There are only 20 available memberships that come with full benefits. For members, the treehouses are ready to use, just like the owner without obligations. The cleaning, maintenance, and gardening is all taken care of! The membership fees include all of the laundry as well as final cleaning along with the use of the gas grill, bicycles, sauna, etc. There are several membership options:
- GREEN MEMBERSHIP: With the monthly fee of 160€, you get 14 nights in the treehouse per year
- SILVER MEMBERSHIP: With the monthly fee of 210€, you get 21 nights in the treehouse per year
There is a super easy booking service so you can grab the nights you want in advance and rest assured that you will get to go enjoy the treehouse. You can e-mail email@example.com for more information and to apply to the Urban Treehouse membership!